Sunday, July 15, 2012

Open-Faced Maitake Mushroom Sandwich




Yesterday was my normal Saturday morning at the farmers' market.  We had planned on attending a concert that evening and taking a picnic, so I decide that I would see what looked good at the market and let availability determine the night's menu.  I came across some great looking specialty mushrooms and decided that I would make mushroom sandwiches modeled after mushroom crostini recipes that I had seen. The farmer, if you will, helped me narrow the selection to bright yellow Oyster or brown Maitake; I went with the latter after he described the flavors.  I knew I had shallots at home, so I purchased a freshly made baguette and cracked pepper goat cheese before leaving the market. Well, it rained and stormed on and off all day, and we ended up seeing a movie instead of going to our concert.  So, I made these for lunch today:

Open Face Maitake Mushroom Sandwich

Ingredients (all are approximations):
  •  3-5 TB butter
  • 1 lb Maitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced 
  • thyme and chives from herb garden
  • salt and pepper
  • cracked pepper goat cheese
  • fresh baguette, sliced
First, prepare all the ingredients as described above.

 Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a saute pan on medium high heat.  Cook the shallots until they begin to soften.  Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. 

Then add the mushrooms.  Season generously with salt and pepper and stir  continuously. 

You will probably want to add several more tablespoons of butter at this point.   Throw in some herbs.  Cook until the mushrooms are soft.  Turn off the heat and let the mushrooms mixture sit in the pan.   Meanwhile, spread your goat cheese on top of your bread slices and toast. 

Top with mushroom mixture and serve immediately.

 Bon Appetit!
Carson



1 comment:

JeffreyEdwards said...

I have found that this site is very informative, interesting and very well written. keep up the nice high quality writing. Roller Blinds Price